Click on any of the entry titles to get more information about all the awesome things written about!

Friday, October 21, 2005

It's a small radio drama world

So I'm listening to Adam Curry's Daily Source Code Podcast on the road today as I'm out running errands. Now, for the most part the podcast is mindless chatter that passes the time. He likes to talk about himself alot, but every now and then I hear something that makes me cock my head to the side and go, "what have we here?"

Today was such a day. All of a sudden I hear, "Do YOU like old-time radio?" I looked at my iPod, as if it were speaking directly to me.

Why yes, yes I do Mr. iPod. Please continue.

An interview! With someone whose name I missed! Damn! Driving along, I reached over into my bag for a pen, and scrambled for paper, oblivious to traffic honking at the fact I do not do this very well. No matter - I scribbled down a name at the next stoplight, not remembering that indeed I had this on my iPod, and could always go back later and find it again.


The interview turned out to be with Fred Foy, former radio announcer and narrator for such old time shows as the Lone Ranger! The website? The Small World Podcast. It was a lovely interview. He hit is right on the head with what is missing today- and that is imagination. Thank goodness there are people out there who still share the love and continue to make radio drama. :-)

It gets better. After the interview, I hear "It's time once again for America's favorite radio show- the Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd".

Well, well... what is this? A story? An adventure story? Oooohhhh...
I ended up downloading EVERY episode. It's funny! The story, from their website:

"When his Time and Space Travel Device is stolen by the evil mastermind Dr. Steve and his sock-shaped assistant Fidgert...Dr. Floyd, his young protege Dr. Grant and their faithful robot companion C.H.I.P.S. must do what they can to get it back. Bent on achieving fame and fortune, Dr. Steve plans to race through history stealing historical items and then returning to the future to sell them on eBay. Can Dr. Floyd and his crew thwart the evil machinations of Dr. Steve and Fidgert? The only way to find out is to tune into the Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd!"

I'm on episode 7- they are dealing with Al Capone... LMAO! It is definitely worth a listen, but don't make fun of the Dr's small head.

Talk about paydirt for an audio addict! Yippee! I'll remember this as if it were yesterday... which now it is.

~Dani

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the interview with Fred as much as I did talking with him. Anf I'm glad I turned you on to the Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd, too!

There's another podcast you might want to check out by Paul Story. It's called Tom Corven and each week Paul tells a little bit more about Tom's adventures and mysterious past. The tale is close to concluding so you'll have the advantage of hearing it from start to finish.

Here's the link...

http://www.dreamwords.com/

Audio Addict said...

Yay! Even MORE to listen to! I can't wait to check it out, I'm such a sucker for a story. :-)

Dr. Floyd just finished with Lewis & Clark... oh this show was QUITE a find- thanks again!

~Dani