Click on any of the entry titles to get more information about all the awesome things written about!

Monday, December 18, 2006

In defense of the podcast... and this blog

UPDATE: I just had to move this to the top again, there have been some good comments from readers!


From 12/5:

Well, I suppose it had to happen eventually. A- a- criticism. Of my beautiful audio world!

You all know by now I'm a bit of a podcasting fan. Well, perhaps freak is more like it. Doors open all over with endless possibility of what you can do with the podcast, from content, to even marketing your wares. Musicians do it all the time with their work, giving you a taste in the hopes you will buy their entire CD, or see them in concert. Why not the same in the audio drama world?

Well, it does happen, not just in podcasting, but in radio too. I have several Shadowlands CD's as well as an Afterhell CD because of hearing them on the radio.

What makes podcasting such an important medium is the ease. Both in creating, and in cost. The proof is in the podcasts out there, audio cinema is popping up all over the place! Anyone can create a podcast and get it up in a feed- no radio stations airtime needed. Hell podcasting even gave Sonic Society major exposure, and in turn brought exposure to all the great audio cinema groups out there.

We would all love to make a living off of doing these podcasts and shows, oh I know it. That is part of the reason why we work so hard at it, the number one reason being our love for what we do. I feel though that podcasting some or even all of your content can only help that along. I honestly think if you are not podcasting your content, you're missing out on a great marketing opportunity.

That's a big reason I began this blog. To help spread the love. A fan (I suppose) of the blog wrote me and asked me why I had veered away from blogging about audio drama, and have been blogging about podcasts. This was a confusing accusation to me. As I went through my posts for November, 11 of them were about audio drama of some form, out of 19 posts for the month. Sure, they podcast. But how is that any different than if they were all on the radio? There would most certainly be less posts if I stuck to only one medium. Podcasting happens to be the most prominent right now.

Why not use it as an advantage, rather than thinking of it as a hindrance?

6 comments:

Cynthia J. McGean said...

I have to agree. The term "audio drama" refers to the fact that it is a genre told entirely through sound. How that experience is delivered has changed radically over the years - radio, tapes, CD's, podcasting & mp3s. We live in a time with more venues for delivering sonic experiences than ever before, and people control their own choices more than ever before. You'd be foolish NOT to address podcasting as part of the audio drama world.

Audio Addict said...

Jesse sent me a comment- he wasn't able to post it himself for some reason (darn blogger beta!):

I don't think you ever committed yourself to only talking about Audio Drama with your Audio Addicts blog. the motto is "Inclusive Eclectic Innovative," not "All Audio Drama, All The Time!"

The podcast delivery system, which is so awesome for getting audio drama into the ears of anyone who wants it, is so important! You'd be negligent NOT to be talking about it.

I took a lot of heat over the commentary I wrote about Audio Drama and the delivery of it. But I don't think the disturbance was caused by podcasting being overblown. Rather, I think it is the same old inertia that I was talking about in that piece that generated the email from your critical fan.

Jesse

http://www.SFFaudio.com

Anonymous said...

I think there can be some real questions as to the validity.
For example, why should someone who has a revenue model, who every single day puts their money on the line and therefore CAN'T podcast their material free be seen as somehow not more valuable than those who do podcast.
Nothing against us podcasters, but when it comes to professionalism most of us aren't about that.

There's sort of an unwritten rule in the podiosphere- if you're doing it to make money then its wrong somehow.

I don't think that's the case.
For example... and again, I don't say this as criticism, but rather as a point of interest. Notice at the top right corner of this site its all about addictive podcasts.
I don't see a listing with any kind of prominence of audio companies or groups that aren't podcasters here.

Sometimes, its all about asking ourselves where we put our time in. We don't even notice it until we're already half way down the slope, and yet there's nothing wrong with asking ourselves the question...
"Do we slight established audio drama companies, or even up and coming audio companies that aren't podcasting?"
And wonder, do they get the same press?
Just some thoughts to thunk. :)

Audio Addict said...

And those are good thoughts.

Just an FYI, a little further down is the collective list, which lists all the radio drama companies that have aired on the Sonic Society, with just as much prominence as the addictive podcasts. I have the addictive podcasts at the top, because, whether those companies who do not podcast like it or not, it's the main way most get their audio drama and listen. :-)

I still believe it's a balanced mix, and people still getting confused between the podcast medium and the radio drama/audio cinema that still dominates the postings here. :-)

Thank you for your input anon.

Audio Addict said...

One more thing I'd like to add... nowhere on this blog does it say it's a radio drama/audio cinema blog. It says it covers all audio.

Yet again, in the postings, you will see the focus is primarily audio cinema.

The main criticism is still, in my opinion, unfounded. :-)

~Dani

Joe said...

Is this still going on? Honestly, this is a snark-free query. I just don't understand the concern.

Podcasting and audiodrama are closely related. For the last decade, they've been practically intertwined. Trying to separate them now is like cutting a baby in half.

Not all podcasts are audiodramas, and not all audiodramas are podcasts. But they're all about the spoken word as long-distance art. Long-range sincerity. Fun at point blank range. Whether it's a personal statement or dramatic theater, the result compels ear, heart and mind. The twain do indeed meet. So what's the big deal?