Click on any of the entry titles to get more information about all the awesome things written about!

Friday, April 20, 2007

On Money and Podcasting

I've had some thoughts banging around in my head lately concerning podcasting and money. I think it all started with the debate that went on concerning the new Tip Jar that is now a feature on the Podcast Pickle podcast pages. A few select people, out of dozens, asked that they have an option to not show the tip jar button. (For an idea of how completely obscene* it looks, take a gander at mine.) The reason for wanting the option was basically that it ruins the "image" that the podcaster has. The image that content is provided for free, with no profit whatsoever.

Um, ok. I found this argument rather confusing, because by no means would giving someone the option of throwing a few dollars your way for job well done be considered profit. At least not to me. Not to mention the fact that we are all using space generously provided to us for free by a man who just wants to help promote podcasting, and watch this genre grow. Besides, other than those who stumble across the pickle page randomly, you'd pretty much have to ask your listeners to go over and give you a tip for anyone to know it's even there. And out of all your listeners, realistically how many actually would?

Bless Gary Leland's dear heart, he made the tip jar a removable option. I hope those three podcasters are happy, because I never would have catered to their request. I tell you, I respect Gary more now for his expertise in dealing with this, and have a little less respect for those who caused such a ruckus over nothing. In my eyes, their image has all ready changed.

Image. I completely understand the image that podcasters would like to keep. It's free. It's independent. It bucks the system, sticks it to the man. (Insert your own cliche' here). Yet, even in the midst of keeping the medium free, there are those who have their very own podcasts and blogs geared towards helping you profit from your podcasts. Leesa Barnes and Paul Colligan come instantly to mind. I subscribe to both of these blogs, as they provide a plethora of information on how to make your podcast better.

Is this a bad thing? Of course not. Everyone podcasts for their own reasons, and wants to put forth their own content. If you want to profit, and people pay you, great. If you want to remain independent and never see a nickel, go for it. Me? I just wouldn't mind offsetting my costs a bit. My show would be a horrible thing to try and profit from anyway, considering the content. I look at my show like any news/talk show... once you profit, your content can easily be dictated to you. I refuse to let myself do that.

This issue will be debated forever, and that's fine to debate. What bothers me is the harsh judgment of those who might want or need to make some money doing what they love to do. If you love what you do, AND get paid for it, isn't that the best of everything? It only makes the quality of your work better, in this case, it would be your podcast.

Do I dare add that Podcast Pickle is now offering an option for your Amazon and Ebay store, linked directly to your account page? ;-)



*not.

10 comments:

Serenity Nova said...

Amen, Dani! Nice to know someone else feels the same way we do.

Take care,
- Cindy Woods
Prometheus Radio Theatre

tvindy said...

lol. Actually, I think I was one of the main people in that debate, and I was definitely the one that used the word "image". But I clearly didn't mean it the way you think I did. Also, I have no problem with people soliciting money from their listeners via PayPal tip jars or most other means. I myself have done so in the past and will almost certainly do so again at some point in the future. My only point was about the way the tip jar was implemented. It was turned on by default and not pre-announced. I think that was a perfectly understandable mistake that anyone could have made, and P. Dilly listened to his users and made it removable. So everyone is happy, and no harm was done (except that it is still on by default).

Anonymous said...

I think if we were paying anything for all the services the Pickle offers we might have some right to complain. But Gary and his staff prove daily that sometimes you don't get what you pay for... you get more. And I think the stink that was raised over there was a show of ungratefulness to the extreme. I don't have a problem with anyone not liking the tip jar. But I do have a problem over the vigorous arguing over a *free* service. You are already getting waaaaaaay more than your money's worth there. Cut the guy a break, you know?

Charles Cadenhead said...

Amen Jen. I think the Pickle users should all step back from the debate and think about all that Gary has done for us and what we would be missing if the Pickle was no longer there for us. I have donated a little money to the Pickle as a way of thanking Gary and his team for their hard work. Now with the tip jars leaving monetary thank-yous for any podcaster just got easier.

Audio Addict said...

Tvindy, I'm not sure why the option being there by default is harmful, can you explain?

Jen, you hit it right on the head. If you are using a free service, and you have a problem with a feature, I don't think you should complain about it being there. If you don't like it, you have every right to stop using the service all together.

I have the same sort of problem with the TS message board, when I get complaints about decisions I make in moderating. But it comes down to one little thing- it's my dime, and if you don't like how I run things, no one is forcing you to stay. ;-)

The quality of a site (any site) as a whole will dictate its success or failure, not one or two little disagreements.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to add my non-existent two cents here. Gary has created the Pickle as a safe place for all podcasters to be. The tone is much different than another site out there in the forums. How many places that offer such a service for FREE do as much for a whole community. I can't think of any. Since I started coming to the Pickle, there has been two MAJOR reworks to the site to make it better. Along the way there have been tweeks to improve the service and functionality of the site. If someone puts an idea out there for something new, and there is support, you will see it happen (see Podcaster Tree and Podcaster Wiki, both were ideas that started in the forum boards).

The tip jar is nothing new, you will find it all over the place on the internet. What Gary did was make it easily accessible to people who might not know how to code it, or just don't have the time. What got me in the whole thing (and I never posted this over at the Pickle) was that this feature was placed on a podcaster's profile page AT the pickle, not on individuals web sites. It frustrated me that people were all up in arms about it, when they technically don't own anything at the Pickle. They don't pay, they don't work on code for hours on end.

I guess why I feel so mad about it and purposely stayed out of the whole thing was because I kind of see Gary Leland as our Podcasting Grandpa (not to imply that he is old). He wants to see all of us podcasters happy and will do everything in his power to do so and ALWAYS with a smile. Just like my grandpa's did in real life.

Dani, great job on this message. Well thought out and done with your wonderful style.

-Barely

tvindy said...

audio addict, okay, here's my thinking. (And by the way, I appreciate you welcoming contrary opinions.)

For me, asking anyone for money is a big deal. Several months ago, I put up a donation button on one of my podcast sites in hopes of raising funds to go to the Podcast Expo. When I did this, I made a point of explaining on my latest episode why I was asking for money, that donations were not expected, that I was extremely grateful for whatever I got, etc. To me, asking for money bothered me a bit, and I had to spend some time beforehand mulling over whether and how I would request donations.

When a donate button suddenly appeared on my profile without prior warning and with no way to get rid of it, that bothered me. To anyone visiting my Pickle page, it looked like I was asking for money. (Even though it wasn't active, 99% of the people who see these buttons don't click on them, so they wouldn't know that.)

Of course this is all subjective. Perhaps my sensitivity to asking for money is extremely uncommon. I suspect it's not, but if it is, then obviously the Pickle needn't concern itself with the idiosyncrasies of one user.

But there is another concern. One podcast that I listen to regularly is The Signal. Since the presenters play many clips from the Firefly series and Serenity movie, including music from the soundtrack, they avoid being sued by making it clear at every opportunity that their cast gives them no income whatsoever. Their website has no PayPal button or link to CafePress, and they have turned away people who wanted to donate. Now thanks to the new Pickle version, they have a tip jar on their profile page. And because they are not active on the Pickle, they probably don't even know it's there. I'm not saying that the tip jar alone would cause them to be sued, but it might cause them some legal complications if the wrong people saw it and jumped to conclusions.

I don't know of other casts with quite the same situation as the Signal, but I bet they exist. I also don't understand the advantage to making the tip jar visible by default. If it hasn't been activated, there's no reason it should appear on the page.

I'm also surprised that people feel that it's inappropriate for us to be complaining about the tip jar implementation. The new site is in beta, and I would think that Gary would be happy to listen to user feedback about the new features.

That's my two cents anyway. This is a good, interesting and quite possibly productive debate.

Anonymous said...

The poster pretty much sums up my views. I'll only add this visual as an analogy for the tip jar.


UBER-pop star = monetized

Guy standing on the corner with a guitar cast open = tip jar

I see a big difference.

gary leland said...

Dani, First let me say thank you for all the kind words. I really do appreciate it. It actually brought a smile to my face when I first read it. Then I read the comments and had to smile again. Thanks everyone for all the support.

I do want to take up for tvindy. Everyone has a different reality. A reason they feel the way they do about certain things. For him the tip jar was not welcomed, and that is fine. I do admit that I never ever thought anyone would dislike the feature, but the fact is he did. We really don't need to know why. I try to please everyone as much as we can. Someone said it was a free service, and if he did not like it he did not have to use it. Well I don't want anyone to quit using the pickle.

While I may not get involved in many of the forum strings, I do read most of them, and I get to know many of you from them. Maybe since I am older and never involved in ANY forum until I made one, causes me to feel different about it and its users. Maybe it is just because it is my forum . Who knows why. The fact is I do get to know you regulars at the Pickle. Then I really love it when I meet you and can put a face to the person I already know.

We will continue to ad new feature as fast as we can. My only goal is to make a great environment for podcasters and podcast listeners. You have no idea of how many changes and new features you are getting ready to see.

All I ask is that you help spread the word. Tell a friend, give a link, or do a shout out.

Don't misunderstand I am a true capitalist at heart. I don't mind making money. That is why I made the $25 podcaster ads. I thought it was a way to make money, while giving the podcasters a good value.

Oh tvindy, the reason the tip jar is on by default is this. I feel PodcastPickle.com has so many features that people don't even see or know about them all. By being on default the podcaster will see it and can check it out. Making it much easier to find out about.

Barely, thanks for the Grandpa bit lol. You know it is funny, I am probably old enough to be most of you guys dad for sure. Grandpa I don't know that. The thing is when I am around my group of older friends lets say. I really seem to be having less and less in common to talk about.

None of the people I know in my age group know what SL, Twitter, Podcasts,and Digg are . Hell, they sure don't use them. So to a degree Podcasting has helped to relate and keep up with whats new.

Once again, thanks Dani and thanks to everyone who uses the Pickle

tvindy said...

Thanks, Pickleman. I'm sure I'll be a faithful Pickle user for a long time to come.